Pet Health Certificate | Do You Need APHIS 7001 Form When Traveling?

A pet health certificate basically indicates that your pet is healthy enough to travel and is not showing signs of any major illness that can be passed on to other animals. Your veterinarian can test for heartworm disease and prescribe heartworm preventive medication to issue a health certificate.

You will need a veterinary inspection certificate to travel with a pet and some airlines require an accreditation certificate. Both of these certificates can only be completed and signed by a federally accredited specialized veterinarian.”

Getting pet health certificate documents in order can be a long and arduous process. Remember that both the export and import procedures will have to be followed for any country your pet has in the United States and abroad.
What documents do you need for pet travel? According to the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Veterinary Health Certificate, the report read in detail:

What is a Pet Health Certificate?

A Pet Health Certificate (CVI) is an official document that your vet fills out after a thorough examination of your pet. This document certifies that your pet is disease-free and lists all of your pet’s vaccinations.

It also includes detailed information about your pet such as breed, age and microchip information. You can only obtain this document from a licensed USDA accredited veterinarian with a Pet Health Certificate. If you need a CVI for pet travel, the first thing to do is to make sure your vet is also USDA accredited.

Vet Form APHIS 7001

Vet Form APHIS 7001

As you prepare to take a pet trip, you will encounter many different agencies depending on how you get there. The Animal Health Inspection Service (APHIS), a department of the Food and Drug Administration, is responsible for making sure all of your paperwork is correct for the US.

You will need to fill out a Trusted Vet Form APHIS 7001, which verifies that your pet is travel-perfect and that your animal is up-to-date on all vaccinations. You have to make sure that your vet is APHIS accredited. The easiest way to find out is to contact your local National Veterinary Accreditation Program coordinator.

Cost of a Veterinarian Health Certificate

The cost of a vet health certificate depends on the vaccines or boosters required by the vet. The cost of the certificate depends on what vaccines or boosters your pet dog may need.

The average cost of a vet consultation for veterinary medicine can range between $20 and $150, but you can also find more expensive veterinarians closer to your area. If you get a consultation at the nearest animal shelter in your area, the consultation may be free.

If your dog is just a small puppy, the average cost of vaccines ranges from $15 to $150; Vaccines can be less expensive at pet shelters. If your companion dog is older and only needs booster shots, it will cost between $10 and $80, depending on where you take your pet dog. In all, you can pay between $30 and $250 for a pet health certificate for your dog.

Types of Pet Health Certificates


There are two types of health certificates available: one that approves pets for interstate travel within the continental United States, and another that approves pets for international travel.

Pet interstate travel

Some states will require a Veterinary Health Certificate for interstate travel when travelling within their own country. Especially for some exotic pets that can bring new diseases that disrupt local agriculture. The same APHIS 7001 form works for interstate pet transportation.

Keep in mind that even if you plan to fly with a pet, your travel is domestic. Many airlines require a Veterinary Health Certificate Form (APHIS 7001) and a Certificate of Adaptation.

This form verifies that your pet is healthy enough to fly. Acceleration certificates are considered valid for 10 days prior to pet flight, so getting one should be one of those last details. You can check this list to make sure you follow all of your airline’s rules before flying a pet. Be sure to double-check for policy changes from time to time.

Pet Travel Internationally

The APHIS Form provides a list of tips before taking your pet on a trip from the United States to another country. they are:

  1. Make sure you know when you are leaving, where you are going, and what pets you plan to take.
  2. Find out with your veterinarian what vaccinations, tests, paperwork or inspections are required for your destination country and when they need to be completed.
  3. Share your opinion with your vet to determine the necessary vaccinations and tests.
  4. Work with your vet to complete all necessary pet travel paperwork.
  5. If necessary, have your completed paperwork endorsed by your local APHIS Veterinary Services office, in person or by mail.

What should I do to plan a free trip for my pet?

If you are living within your state and you are taking your pet with you in your vehicle, you do not need a health certificate issued for travel. However, it is recommended that as a precaution, if you are travelling by private car, you should carry the most current rabies certificate from your pet dog and a pet health certificate issued by the vet. This includes information about your pet friend’s recent health exam.

If you plan to fly in dollars, research the specific airline you plan to use first. Some airlines in the United States have their own requirements while others defer to those issued by the destination state.

Read – How much does it cost to fly a dog with you?

Is a Pet Health Certificate Required on a Cruise?

With the exception of pet service animals, there are very few cruise lines in the United States that will allow pets on board. The first reason is for safety and health at sea. The second is that you will be looking at different import and quarantine laws for each stop where your cruise stops, even if you plan to leave your pet dog onboard.

This way you will have enough time to solve all the problems that arise. You can learn more about international regulations by checking out the list on the USDA website.
Are you interested in additional information? Read this USDA resource in detail.