When does a dog period come? Or when the dog comes on heat. Yes, you heard it right; just like humans, female dogs also get periods. If you are a first-time dog owner, or you already have a dog breed, and you have no idea about the duration of a dog.
So with the help of this article, we will tell you what female dog period cycles are. And when do dogs enter this stage? And how long does it last. And how can you take care of your dog in the meantime?
What is the duration of a female dog period?
When do female dogs enter puberty? Then the level of estrogen in her body increases, then eggs are released from the ovaries. Due to this, the blood starts leaking from the vagina, which is a sign that she is ready to mate and breed with a male dog.
This state of female dogs is also called in ordinary language, coming in menstruation, thrashing, menstruation, or hot cycle of dogs. And during this time, female dogs also conceive.
When does a female dog get her period?
A female dog gets her first period (first period). When he is about six to ten months old, the length of the first period can vary in each dog breed.
For example, some small dog breeds take six to eight months to get their first period. Instead, some large dog breeds also get their first period at twelve to twenty months.
Suppose the dog takes a long time to come to the first heat. So it is due to a lack of vitamins and nutrients. Always give nutritious and balanced food to your dog.
Understand the female dog period cycle.
A female dog comes into heat every six months. The duration of the period can vary depending on the dog breed. According to the America Canal Club, many small breed female dogs come into heat 3-to four times a year. At the same time, periods come in 18-24 months in large breed dog breeds.
In girl dogs, this menstrual cycle is of 9 to 20 days. A female dog is fully prepared to mate with a male pup and conceive during this stage.
How to know if dogs are in heat.
When does a female dog enter menstruation? So there are some physical and practical changes in it. Suppose you see that these changes are happening. So you can find out that the dog is about to kill.
- During periods, the vagina of a female dog swells on both sides. And blood starts pouring out of it. There may be more or less bleeding. This will let you know that the dog’s menstrual cycle has begun.
- In the period stage, female dogs release hormones through urine (urine) to attract male dogs. She leaks urine drop by drop from her valve at regular intervals.
- During periods, the dog’s full attention remains towards its vulva. She keeps on cleaning her yoni (vagina) with her tongue every few minutes.
- Dogs eat less food than usual during menstruation. And lie down in one place in an idle state. And do not do sports and running at all.
What is the Silent dog period? How to avoid this?
You must have learned about dog periods, but it is also essential to know about silent heat. What is Silent Heat?
When does a female dog enter her heat cycle? So there are some physical or behavioral changes in it, which are above and below. But if all these changes are not visible in the dog, we call it silent heat.
For what reasons does this happen?
Silent heat to the dog is mainly due to the lack of nutrients, vitamins, calcium, iron. Or, if the dog is infected with some bacteria and virus, it can get silent heat.
How to protect dogs from silent heat?
To protect your dog from the silent heat, always give him enough nutrient-rich food. In which all minerals and vitamins are present in balanced amounts.
And to avoid infection, especially the dog’s body and its sleeping and living space should be cleaned, and the dog should be checked by the vet regularly.
How to take care of dogs during periods?
When a female dog is in her heat phase. So it mainly requires more care.
Here’s what you need to know as a good dog owner. How to take care of your female dog during periods.
- It is very receptive to mating with other male dogs during the heat cycle. At this stage, they should be tied at home or kept in a safe place to protect them from outside dogs.
- Female dogs sometimes experience excessive vaginal bleeding during menstruation. Due to this, it can make your house dirty and smelly. To avoid this, you keep them tied in one place.
- Suppose you take the dog out for a walk during menstruation. So always keep it tied and never leave it alone outside at all.
- During the period stage, the dog needs more minerals and nutrients. So give your dog a balanced and nutritious diet. And keep in mind that dogs should not be given hot food. Hot-tasting food can cause excessive bleeding.
- Changes in dog behavior can occur during the heat cycle. They can be a bit irritable or angry, so they need more love and affection from you.
- Suppose your dog has any health problems during this time. So be sure to check with your vet immediately.
What to do if the dog does not come on heat?
Friends, many times, this problem occurs mainly in female dogs. That is, they do not get periods that he does not come on heat. Even if periods come, I do not know. This makes it difficult for them to meet a male dog and conceive.
We will tell you about some ayurvedic and homeopathic medicines, the use of which will go a long way in bringing your female dog in heat.
Homeopathic medicine to make dogs in heat
The use of homeopathic medicines is considered excellent and safe. Because it does not have any side effects, you can use either Pulsatilla 200 or Sepia 200 or both of these together to bring the dog into heat.
Give your dog ten drops twice a day for 10-15 days.
Ayurvedic medicine to bring the dog into heat
Ayurvedic medicines are also a perfect option. You can also use it to bring a dog into heat without consulting a doctor.
- Dashmularishta is a very effective medicine, which is very reliable to bring a weak female dog into heat. Give this 5 ml to the dog in the morning and evening.
- M2 Tone Syrup This is a very proven Ayurvedic medicine recommended by Veterinarians. Give this 5 ml to your dog twice a day.
- Shatavari is a famous medicine. It is also used to bring the dog into heat. Shatavari is available in the market in both powder and tablet form. Feed the pup twice a day if you take the powder and the pill. Therefore, feed one tablet every morning and evening.