The timing of a dog’s gestation period is a new chapter in their life and a new experience for a dog owner. A pregnant dog must be cared for carefully and adequately during a dog’s pregnancy.
The first female dog pregnancy can be challenging for you without any experience and knowledge. For which it is necessary. You must know the female dog delivery time gestation period and all the correct information.
And how to take care of food and other important things during a canine’s pregnancy. What precautions should you take during dog pregnancy?
Dog pregnancy period
What is the duration of a dog’s pregnancy? Or how many months is the canine delivery period? Just like we humans have a gestation period of 9 months. Similarly, the gestation period of dogs is 60 days, i.e., nine weeks.
According to veterinarians. The more the number of puppies, the lesser are the problems in childbirth. While puppies are small, sometimes complications can arise.
Also, Read –
Dog’s pregnancy symptoms
After a successful breeding (meeting) with a male dog, how do you know if your female dog is pregnant? So for this, you have to understand the physical and behavioral changes happening in the dog. With the help of which, you will know whether the dog is pregnant or not.
Female dog pregnancy signs
- In the early days of pregnancy, the dog’s physical curiosity, playfulness, and activities like running, running, playing are reduced. And their body becomes very lazy, and they start living in peace.
- During the 1st week of pregnancy, the dog eats less food than regularly. And drink more and more water. In dogs, you see these symptoms for ten days, and after ten days, the number of their food increases gradually.
- A thick white mucus-like substance comes out from the dog’s vagina during pregnancy. There is an increase in the size and color of the breasts, which are signs of pregnancy.
- Female dogs gain weight rapidly during the pregnancy stage. Apart from this, there is a gradual bulge in the stomach, although you can see this bulge after a few days.
How to care in dog pregnancy cycle?
A pregnant dog requires proper care during pregnancy. In such a situation, being a good dog owner becomes your responsibility to take special care of your pregnant dog.
It is essential for proper care that you should know this. How do we care for a pregnant dog? So let’s see what they have, which you have to take care of keeping in mind.
Dog food during Dog gestation period
It is essential to ensure a healthy body and better the pregnant dog and her future puppy. Please give them a nutritious and balanced diet. Many people give their dogs homemade food. By the way, you can also provide home-cooked food to your dog; it is also a nutritious diet.
But a pregnant dog needs more nutrients. Their stomach is filled with home-cooked food, but the essential nutrients are not fully available.
As per the advice of veterinarians, it is better to give mother starter dog food or puppy food to pregnant dogs during pregnancy, especially during the pregnancy period. In which all those nutrients are present in a balanced quantity. What does a pregnant dog need?
Dog food quantity and rules
For the better development of children, it is necessary to nurture the dog and its stomach. You should provide your pregnant dog with food in the right proportion as per the rules.
Since the time of pregnancy is 63 days. You don’t have to make any changes to your dog’s food during the first 20 days of incubation. This means that whatever food you give your dog before pregnancy, you will need to feed it for the first twenty days.
After twenty days, the food you were giving your dog will need to be changed. Instead, you need to provide a good quality puppy starter food or mother food, depending on the size of your dog. Along with this, you can also eat it with boiled eggs and boiled chicken.
Give the amount of food according to the amount indicated on the dog food package. And you have to give this food twice a day for twenty to forty days of pregnancy.
After forty days of pregnancy, that is, after six weeks, the puppies have developed a lot. And the size also changes, and the dog needs more nutrition at this time, so you need to give them more food.
Note: You do not have to feed them in large quantities at one go but in small amounts 4-5 times a day.
Vaccination during the dog gestation period
Before conceiving a dog, i.e., successful breeding from a male dog, it is very important to make sure that your dog has met all the essential migrations on time or not. Because after birth, the virus can also enter puppies through milk.
Suppose your pregnant dog has not been fully vaccinated. So after 30 days of pregnancy, your dog should be vaccinated. One crucial point is that a vet should always do vaccinations during pregnancy because many vaccines are not recommended during the pregnancy stage.
Exercise in the dog gestation period
It is a very important part of caring for a pregnant dog. You help keep them healthy, fit, and agile through regular exercise because a pregnant dog needs more strength, stamina, and stamina at the birth of puppies.
In exercise, all you have to do is move them daily for a short distance. And stay away from doing any physical activity. Excessive exercise and physical activity can be tiring and stressful for them. They can also unintentionally harm them and unborn babies by staying away from other outdoor dogs while exercising.
Dog gestation in deworming
During pregnancy, puppies are at risk of being spoiled by their mother. To avoid this, deworming is also very important.
Many people have this question or question in their minds. How to de-warm a dog during pregnancy? According to veterinarians, it is advisable to worm-free your pregnant dog two weeks before the birth of the puppies.
Precautions during the dog gestation period
A pregnant dog requires proper care during pregnancy. Even a tiny mistake at this stage can prove to be harmful to the dog and its future puppies. So let’s know what precautions you should take during pregnancy.
- In the quest for healthy puppies, most people try to feed them more food during pregnancy. Who is wrong. Because of this, pregnant dogs are prone to food allergies.
- Non-vegetarian food like egg, chicken, meat, any non-vegetarian food, you don’t have to give them in large quantities. These are all high nutrient foods. It takes a lot of energy and time for a dog to digest them. An overdose of non-veg can cause digestive problems in the dog.
- You do not have to do any physical activity like training sports during dog pregnancy. You can do normal walking regularly. After thirty days of pregnancy, you will have to reduce walking because puppies need more strength and energy when they are born.
- Keeping the pregnant dog in a clean, dry, warm, and clean place is important. By doing this, you can protect pregnant canines and their unborn babies from many life-threatening infections and diseases.
- Do not give any medicine like a liver tonic, protein, and calcium tablets or capsules without the vet’s advice. These can have adverse effects on your dog and its children.